BROOKFIELD, Conn. -- The Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut in Brookfield and a Greater Danbury Coalition called “Getting There” have convened to raise interest in the importance of using human powered legs when getting from one place to another.
The regional Y serves Danbury, Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Newtown and Sherman.
Communities in Greater Danbury will be holding the following events that encourage walking or biking in an effort to promote physical activity:
- April 30, from 1-3 p.m.: A Youth Bike Rodeo at Healthy Kids Day. For more information call the Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut at (203)-775-4444.
- May 4, at 7:30 a.m.: Danbury Park Avenue School students will have a Walk To School Day, meeting Mayor Boughton at City Hall. Interested parent volunteers, contact Maria Vargas at Park Avenue School at (203)-797-4763.
- May 15, at 11 a.m.:Join the walk on the proposed multi-use Marjorie Trail to connect between Danbury and New Fairfield. For more information, email Peter Hearn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 18, from 7-9 a.m. and from 3-5 p.m.: Danbury Bike to Work Day. For more information email Drew O’Connell at email@example.com.
- May 18, at 6:45 p.m. for a 7 p.m. departure: Meet at Rogers Park on Memorial Drive, in front of Rogers Park Middle School. Route is 5 miles, fairly flat. Local event updates by clicking here .
- May 20, from 7-9 a.m.: Celebrate Bethel Bike to Work Day. Join co-workers and enjoy a bike ride to work. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 20, from 8-9 a.m.: Join New Milford Mayor David Gronbach as he leads National Bike to Work Day from his house to the New Milford Town Hall. For more information, contact Tom O’Brien, Chairman of the New Milford River Trail Association at (203)-770-2816 or email email@example.com.
- May 29, at 1:30 p.m.: Join the Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut at the Brookfield Memorial Day Parade. Please register ahead by contacting Maria Neufeld, Youth Program Coordinator at (203)-775-4444, Ext. 109.
To join the “Getting There” Coalition, please contact Maureen Farrell at the Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut at (203)-740-3432, ext. 236 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.