BRIDGEWATER, Conn. – A Dutchess County man accused of shooting a 64-year-old Bridgewater resident with a shotgun during a home invasion robbery is in police custody, according to authorities.
Dustin Holst-Grubbe, 20, of Belke Road, Millerton, N.Y., faces a host of assault and burglary charges in connection with separate incidents in Connecticut and Dutchess, according to Connecticut State Police.
In Connecticut, the 20-year-old is accused of forcing his way into a home on South Main Street in Bridgewater during the early morning of Aug. 4, police said in a statement.
When officers responded to the scene at about 3:40 a.m., they found the resident, 64-year-old Victor Compe, had been wounded by a shotgun blast during an home invasion, police said.
Officers called upon local emergency medical services for assistance and then scoured the house and surrounding woods for signs of the shooter, turning up a shotgun and a stolen Subaru Forrester, according to police.
The investigation continued, eventually leading to Waterbury, Conn., where investigators found two other stolen cars – a black BMW and a Ford Econoline Van – that were connected to the Bridgewater home invasion, police said.
On Sunday, the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office in New York notified authorities in Connecticut that Holst-Grubbe had turned himself in and remained in police custody.
New York and Connecticut law enforcement agencies combined their investigations Monday and Tuesday, obtaining multiple arrest warrants for Holst-Grubbe, Connecticut state police said.
In connection with the Bridgewater home invasion, Holst-Grubbe faces charges of home invasion, assault of an elderly person, first-degree assault with a deadly weapon, stealing a firearm, first-degree burglary, credit card theft and two counts each of third-degree burglary, second-degree larceny and third-degree larceny.
Holst-Grubbe was held on $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond by authorities in Dutchess, where he is accused separately of burglarizing a closed diner, stealing an undisclosed amount of money from the cash register on Aug. 3, according to authorities, who said the 20-year-old has been charged with third-degree burglary in connection with that incident.
Authorities said Holst-Grubbe will be transported to Connecticut to be officially charged in connection with the Bridgewater incident once he has answered to the charges in Dutchess.
Compe, the man wounded during the Bridgewater home invasion, was treated for a gunshot wound to the upper body at Danbury Hospital and later released, authorities said. A 64-year-old woman, Samantha A. Moore, was home during the home invasion but was unharmed.
Anyone who may have any information regarding Holst-Grubbe’s alleged crimes in Bridgewater or Dutchess County is urged to call Connecticut state police detectives at 203-267-2200 or text TIP711 with the information to 274637. All calls will be kept confidential.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.