FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A number of familiar powerhouses from Fairfield County triumphed in the semifinals of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference football playoffs and now head to state championship games on Saturday.
Darien and Shelton were victorious in the Class LL match-ups, as Darien trounced Southington, 49-7, and Shelton moved ahead of Newtown, 35-28.
This is Darien’s first year in Class LL. The Blue Wave lost the past two Class L finals to archrival New Canaan. Shelton lost in last year’s Class LL final to Xavier.
In the Class LL semifinal, New Canaan beat back Notre Dame of West Haven, 51-27, to make the final against North Haven, which topped Wethersfield, 21-14. It's New Canaan's third straight trip to the Class LL final in football and its ninth in the past 10 years.
In Class M, Brookfield topped Killingly, 34-13, and New Fairfield blanked Ledyard, 13-0, to set up a final between the two neighboring towns.
Brookfield, the reigning Class M champions, will be making its third straight appearance in the final. New Fairfield . The two rivals met in their season-opener, with Brookfield going away with the win and New Fairfield suffering its only defeat of the season.
In Class S, Stamford's Trinity Catholic fell to Ansonia, 31-22, while Bloomfield topped Seymour, 41-22.
Here's a rundown of Monday's scores in the different divisions of the state championships:
- Shelton beat Newtown, 35-28
- Darien beat Southington, 49-7
- North Haven beat Wethersfield, 21-14
- New Canaan beat Notre Dame, 51-27
- Brookfield beat Killingly, 34-13
- New Fairfield beat Ledyard, 13-0
- Ansonia beat Trinity Catholic of Stamford, 31-22
- Bloomfield beat Seymour, 41-22
Here is the schedule and match-ups for the championship games, with the seedings:
- Shelton (No. 1) vs. Darien (No. 2), game at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Willow Brook Park in New Britain
- North Haven (No. 1) vs. New Canaan (No. 6), game at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at West Haven High
- New Fairfield (No. 2) vs. Brookfield (No. 5), game at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at West Haven High
- Ansonia (No. 1) vs. Bloomfield (No. 2), game at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Willow Brook Park in New Britain
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.